No More Late Fees for Some Residents at Brampton Library
Anyone who has ever taken a book out of the library knows that, sometimes, it can be stressful to return a book late.
There are fines for overdue materials, after all.
Now, Brampton Library has announced a pretty major change to its fines policy.
The library system has officially cancelled late fees for most overdue children’s materials.
For any parents with kids, this might be a big relief.
The new rules are in place as of September 4, 2018.
"As part of our strategic plan, Brampton Library strives to be a neighbourhood champion and a place for belonging,” said Brampton Library CEO Rebecca Raven in a recent statement.
“Supporting both and working toward barrier-free access for all, we are pleased to announce the removal of overdue fines on most children's materials. There has never been a better time to visit a branch, engage with our knowledgeable staff and explore the opportunities of library membership for everyone in your family.”
According to Brampton Library staff, returning materials late is not uncommon.
"I always encourage children to have their own library cards and to take charge of choosing their favourite titles,” said ate Alatsas, Manager of Children and Youth Services, in the statement.
“Sometimes, those titles would come back to the library late… Has this happened to you? Don't worry, you're not alone! One of the hardest parts of my job as a Librarian is asking for your allowance to pay for those little mishaps!"
Now, children can borrow up to 50 items at a time, and return them in good condition, with no late fees.
Brampton Library has seven branches across the city.
- Brampton driving school instructor charged with sexual offences
- McLaughlin and Ray Lawson closed due to shooting investigation in Brampton
- Man dead following shooting along Brampton footpath
- COVID-19: Ontario reports 625 new cases and on track for 1,000 a day, modelling shows
- Brampton father celebrates big lotto win
- Brampton library implements fine-free books for children
- Brampton library offering materials to help cope with stress amid COVID-19 pandemic
- Here's How You Can Stream Movies and TV With Your Brampton Library Card
- Brampton's Getting a New Library Branch Soon
- Brampton Library Set to Close Down Temporarily