Ontario enables auto insurance companies to provide rebates to drivers amid COVID-19 pandemic
The Ontario government says it has amended a regulation under the Insurance Act to allow auto insurance companies to provide temporary insurance premium rebates to drivers during the COVID-19 pandemic.
The province says the amendment ensures insurance companies would be able to provide rebates to drivers for up to 12 months after the declared emergency has ended.
“We are in an unprecedented time and people are experiencing extraordinary financial pressures,” said Rod Phillips, Minister of Finance, in a statement.
“My message to insurance companies has been clear: they should provide relief that reflects the financial hardships their dedicated customers are facing due to the COVID-19 outbreak.”
The province says the government and the Financial Services Regulatory Authority of Ontario (FSRA) will continue to work together to monitor how the auto insurance sector is responding.
“All of us will remember how companies treat us during these unprecedented times. I often remind business leaders that their customers from the past five years are likely to be their customers for the next five years,” said Phillips.
“Insurance companies indicated that the regulation preventing rebates was a barrier to providing relief to their customers. That barrier has now been removed so auto insurance companies can step up and do the right thing for the people and families of Ontario.”
The province says it's the first jurisdiction in Canada to remove existing restrictions on rebating so auto insurers can provide additional consumer relief.
- Brampton issues 14 additional physical distancing fines amid COVID-19 outbreak
- Outdoor water use advisory in effect for Brampton
- First responders attending to a natural gas line that was struck in Brampton
- Man arrested for defrauding the public
- Man charged after multiple vehicles damaged in Brampton
- Ontario drivers see average of $150 savings; minister says more should be done
- Prominent Insurance Company Accused of Denying Auto Insurance to Brampton Residents
- Are Men Paying Less Than Women for Auto Insurance?
- Are Car Insurance Companies in Ontario Ripping Us Off?
- Huge Change Coming to Drivers' Insurance Rules in Brampton