Ontario Finance Minister Threatens to Sue Brampton Mayor Patrick Brown
Mayor Patrick Brown may potentially be facing a libel lawsuit from Ontario’s Finance Minister, Vic Fedeli.
In Brown’s book, titled Takedown: The Attempted Political Assassination of Patrick Brown, he makes statements regarding a sexual misconduct complaint allegedly made against Fedeli.
Fedeli’s lawyer has since requested that these statements be removed from the book, citing libel and threatening legal action.
In a statement to inbrampton.com, Brown calls the request “perplexing” and claims that the sexual misconduct complaint has already been verified.
“I did receive a lawyers letter requesting my publisher remove the reference in ‘Take Down’ which mentions a sexual misconduct complaint was made against Vic Fedeli,” Brown said, “which is perplexing as the CBC has already independently verified that a complaint was indeed made.”
Brown refers to a CBC News article about his book published on November 14, 2018, the same day his book was published.
The book’s publisher, Optimum Publishing International, states that they were surprised by the request made by Fedeli’s lawyer.
“We are not alleging anything against Mr. Fedeli in the book and simply provided an anecdotal story that was illustrative of the author's perceived hypocrisy at Queen's Park,” the publisher wrote in a statement.
At this time, Fedeli has not issued a formal statement regarding Brown’s book or the possibility of a lawsuit against Brown.
In Takedown: The Attempted Political Assassination of Patrick Brown, Brown details his political career and some of the difficulties he faced, including his own experiences with sexual misconduct allegations.
The book was published several weeks after Brown was elected Mayor of Brampton on October 22, 2018.
We’ll update with more information on this story as it develops.
- City Congratulates Brampton Mayor Patrick Brown on Birth of His First Son
- A Major Canadian Company Is Moving Into A Single Facility In Brampton
- Vehicle Flipped Over in Multi-Vehicle Crash in Brampton
- Peel Police Asking For Help To Locate Missing 10-Year-Old Boy From Brampton
- Police Cruiser Involved in Three-Vehicle Crash in Brampton
- Publisher to Fight $8 Million Lawsuit Against Brampton Mayor Patrick Brown
- Here's Where Patrick Brown's Book Tour is Taking Place
- Is Patrick Brown's Book Actually Good for Brampton?
- ONE on One with Possibly the Next Mayor of Brampton, Patrick Brown
- Here's What Linda Jeffrey Has to Say About Patrick Brown Running for Mayor in Brampton