Ontario Government Introduces First-Ever "First Nations Studies" High School Curriculum
The Ontario government has just launched a First Nations, Metis and Inuit Studies Curriculum for students in Grade 9 to 12.
The government has announced that they will be funding school boards with $3.25 million to implement the plan.
According to the press release, the curriculum is comprised of 10 elective courses which will provide students with education on First Nations, Metis, and Inuit culture, contributions, history and contemporary realities. The curriculum will be implemented starting in September 2019.
“We are committed to ensuring that Indigenous perspectives are present in Ontario’s curriculum. We look forward to continuing strong partnerships with Indigenous leaders and the community, and this represents an important step in our ongoing collaboration,” said Minister of Education Lisa Thompson in the press release.
Indigenous teachers, Elders, Knowledge Keepers, Metis Senators, First Nations, Metis, and Inuit community representatives, residential school survivors, Indigenous partners, and other education stakeholders have collaborated on the curriculum.
The new curriculum is a part of Ontario’s new plan called Education that Works for You. According to the government, it is a plan that aims to modernize classrooms, empower educators and better prepare students.
- Brampton resident celebrating big lottery win
- CAUGHT ON VIDEO: Single vehicle collision in Brampton
- Drugs, firearms, and over 1,000 rounds of ammunition seized from Brampton residence: Police
- Police launch blitz targeting noisy vehicles in Brampton
- Brampton intersection closed after vehicle flipped over, traffic light knocked down
- Important Changes Coming to Curriculum in Brampton and Beyond
- Ontario introduces new math curriculum for elementary students
- Peel District School Board To Implement New Sex-Ed Curriculum This September
- Brampton Teachers Advised to Ignore Doug Ford’s Mandate on Sex-Ed Curriculum
- Ontario Releases Sexual Education Curriculum