Ontario Government To Invest $1.3 Million To Make Buildings More Accessible
The Ontario government, along with the Ministry for Seniors and Accessibility, will be trying to make buildings in Ontario more accessible.
Last week, the government stated that they will be investing $3 million for the Seniors Community Grant Program to provide grants to non-profit community organizations and deliver local programs for seniors. Community groups could apply for grants from $1,000 up to $25,000 starting May 17 to June 27.
Today, they announced that they will be making communities and buildings more accessible for seniors and people with disabilities.
The Ford government will be investing $1.3 million over the next two years. The government is partnering up with the Rick Hansen Foundation, which is a foundation by Rick Hansen to erase physical barriers in the community.
Minister for Seniors and Accessibility Raymond Cho and Hansen spoke at the MaRS Discovery District today to launch the Rick Hansen Foundation Accessibility Certification program. The certification program will provide accessibility ratings for businesses and public buildings by trained professionals. It will also help owners determine ways to remove physical barriers.
The Rick Hansen Foundation will provide ratings for 250 facilities in select communities across Ontario, which have not been identified yet.
“We are working to ensure people with disabilities have the support and resources they need to participate more fully in their communities, as consumers and employees. Being accessible benefits businesses and communities and opens them up to qualified talent and more customers,” said Cho.
Organizations that are rated will get a confidential scorecard rating and report of improvements for their facility.
“The $1.3 million will go a long way in providing meaningful access to buildings and communities, and will help make Ontario more inclusive where people with disabilities are living to their full potential,” said Hansen.
- Police investigate possible kidnapping of a female in Brampton
- All COVID-19 cases in Brampton schools for the week of September 14 to 19
- UPDATE: Police say Saturday night incident in Brampton wasn't kidnapping; continuing to investigate
- Planning for this transformative Brampton project now underway
- Ontario reports 365 new COVID-19 cases in past 24 hours, one new death