Ontario secondary schools have room for improvement: report
Many Ontario secondary schools underperformed in 2019.
A report from The Fraser Institute has found that more secondary schools in Ontario declined in performance than those that improved.
The report ranks more than 700 anglophone and francophone public and Catholic schools, as well as a small number of independent and First Nations schools on nine academic indicators, which derive from annual provincewide reading, writing and math tests.
“The Report Card offers parents information they can’t easily get anywhere else, about how their child’s school performs over time and compares to other schools across Ontario,” Peter Cowley, a Fraser Institute senior fellow, said in a news release.
According to the findings, 73 schools across the province experienced a decline in performance, while only 47 schools showed an improvement in performance.
Further, despite common misconceptions, the data suggests every school is capable of improving despite its location, ranking, and demographic.
“We often hear excuses that some schools can’t improve student performance because of the communities and students they serve, but all over Ontario, there are schools with students facing significant challenges that still find ways to improve,” Cowley said.
- Road closed due to collision between car and truck in Brampton
- Peel District schools in Brampton with reported cases of COVID-19 - September 21
- Ontario rolls out massive flu shot campaign in bid to keep hospitals from overflowing amid the COVID-19 pandemic
- Dufferin-Peel Catholic District schools in Brampton with reported COVID-19 cases – September 21
- Public health officials urge Canadians to limit contacts again as COVID-19 cases rise
- Some Brampton Schools Not Faring Well on Report Card
- These Brampton Schools Just Received Very Good Rankings on a Controversial Report
- Several Brampton Schools Have Earned a Prestigious Distinction
- School board responds to report about lead levels in drinking water in Brampton schools
- Ontario Universities Are Paying Close Attention to These Brampton High Schools