OPP Reports Spike in Traffic-Related Incidents this Victoria Day Long Weekend
On Victoria Day long weekend, there's often a spike in traffic-related charges and incidents on the road. This year's long weekend saw massive numbers of charges to drivers in Ontario.
The Ontario Provincial Police reported that over the Victoria Day Long Weekend, they laid numerous charges.
From May 16-22, 2017, ironically enough, Canada Road Safety Week, the OPP laid close to 9,400 speeding charges, 165 of which were street racing charges laid against motorists driving 50 km/h over the posted speed limit.
Officers also laid 649 seat belt charges, 482 distracted driving charges, and 124 alcohol/drug impaired charges.
Thankfully, there were no fatalities on Ontario roads during the week, however there were two off-road vehicles deaths.
The big four causal factors in motor vehicle collision fatalities are impaired, inattentive and aggressive driving, and lack of seatbelt use.
Canada Road Safety Week aims to educate drivers about the big four.
Over the course of the week, those charged were motorists whose driving behaviours threatened the safety of other road users on one of the busiest traffic weekends of the year, mostly categorized under the big four.
While the campaign is over, officers say they remain highly focused on changing these driving behaviours around the clock, 365 days a year.
Be attentive on the roads to stay safe, Brampton!
- Premier Doug Ford reveals Brampton is "hot spot" for COVID-19
- Brampton issues 56 additional physical distancing fines amid COVID-19 outbreak
- No mask, no service? Businesses have the right to require masks on customers
- Second employee at Brampton grocery store tests positive for COVID-19
- Police responding to individual in crisis in Brampton
- Four Deaths and Multiple Charges Mark End of Long Weekend on Ontario Roads
- Here's How Many Speeding Charges Police Laid in 2017
- Here's How Many Charges OPP Laid Against Truck Drivers in One Week
- Here's How Many Charges OPP Laid Against Truck Drivers in 24 Hours
- Alarming Amount of Impaired Driving Charges Laid this Holiday Season in Brampton