Over 400 traffic tickets issued in Brampton and Mississauga over the past month
Police have issued over 400 traffic tickets over the course of a month-long blitz in Brampton and Mississauga.
Peel police say that illegal street racing and "aggressive high-speed driving" continue to be a problem on local roadways. In response to a reported uptick in speeding and aggressive driving, police launched the E.R.A.S.E Program (Eliminating Racing Activities on Streets Everywhere) to "change poor driver behaviour through education and strategic enforcement."
Over the last month, officers have overseen targeted weekend enforcement that involved the additional deployment of officers from all four community police divisions.
During this traffic blitz, officers say they investigated 1,606 vehicles, laid 18 criminal charges, and seized 14 vehicles. All combined, officers issued 414 Highway Traffic Act tickets, 137 bylaw notices and attended 116 calls for service that were directly related to street racing activity.
Many of the charges laid related to speeding and aggressive driving, police say.
"We continue to receive numerous community complaints in relation to aggressive driving and street racing. It is encouraging to see that our citizens are just as disturbed as we are by the driving behaviours they observe on our roads," said Acting Sergeant Donna Maurice, the sergeant in charge of the E.R.A.S.E. team.
"Our officers work tirelessly trying to keep the roads in Peel Region a safe place for everyone; it's great to see the Police and the public working together in an effort to make that happen."
Anyone with information concerning aggressive driving or illegal street racing activities are asked to contact police by calling 905-453-3311.
- Brampton father celebrating big lotto win
- Daycare in Lockdown as shooting leaves man dead in Brampton
- Peel District schools in Brampton with reported cases of COVID-19 – September 25
- Brampton remains reasonably-priced for tenants: Report
- Province places new restrictions on bars and restaurants, closes all strip clubs
- Peel police issue dozens of speeding tickets over two-day period in Brampton
- Here's How Many Speeding Charges Police Laid in 2017
- Police Lay Close to 200 Traffic Charges Over Two Days in Peel
- Brampton Man Charged with Street Racing
- OPP Reports Spike in Traffic-Related Incidents this Victoria Day Long Weekend