Over $5,000 worth of equipment stolen from Habitat for Humanity
Habitat for Humanity Halton-Mississauga, which is currently working on several affordable housing projects for vulnerable and lower-income residents in the Mississauga, Brampton, Oakville, Burlington, Milton and Halton Hills areas, is reeling after the alleged theft of $5,000 worth of donated tools.
On Friday, Nov. 1, 2019, Habitat HM employees were shocked to find salvage and donation trucks stripped of tools and supplies that had been donated to the charity by Milwaukee Tool.
Habitat HM says this marks the second time that tools have been stolen from the charity within the past month and a half.
The organization says the first theft occurred in September when trucks were once again the target of thieves who "stole all the tools they could carry."
As a non-profit organization, Habitat HM says it depends on such donations to operate.
"We do our best to ensure that our assets are secured properly; we've taken additional precautions to keep this from happening again. We just can't fathom why anyone would target a charity, so we are incredibly disheartened. To have these tools donated by Milwaukee was huge for us," says John Gerrard, CEO, Habitat for Humanity Halton-Mississauga,
"To have them stolen now is a great loss."
Habitat HM says the theft greatly impacts the charity's ability to continue this program.
Habitat HM is currently working on its largest build project to date, an 18-townhome community located in Burlington. The organization hopes to have the first 9 homes completed by the end of this year.
The organization is also constructing an affordable housing development on Merritt Ave. in Malton in Mississauga.
The charity is appealing to the community for support and hoping for donations of new or gently used tools that can help the organization rebuild its losses.
- Here's what you need to know about the new regulations for airlines
- SCAM ALERT: Utility companies urge customers to be vigilant ahead of holidays
- Brampton man charged in a sexual assault investigation
- Man arrested in Brampton sexual assault investigation
- Brampton man charged with weapon offences after police seize loaded handgun
- Habitat for Humanity experiences third burglary since September
- Here's Who Will Be Moving Into a New Affordable Housing Project in Brampton
- More Affordable Housing Coming To Brampton Soon
- Here's Where New Affordable Housing is Going in Brampton
- Police Now Have More Tools To Find Missing People In Brampton