Patrick Brown emphasizes importance of not rushing economy's reopening amid COVID-19 pandemic
At a May 13 conference, Mayor Patrick Brown discussed additional measures to help cope with the ongoing COVID-19 crisis as well as discussing the importance of not rushing the gradual reopening of the economy.
Today’s conference featured Mayor Patrick Brown, Councillors Charmaine Williams and Paul Vicente and Dr. Lawrence Loh, Interim Medical Officer of Health, Peel Region.
“In Brampton, we are firm believers that we’re not going to press that trigger and reopen any aspect of the city until Public Health has told us that it’s safe to do so,” said Brown.
“I know right now the Premier and the Prime Minister are facing pressure from some parts of the country to reopen,” he said, adding that in the Greater Toronto Area (GTA), there is still a lot of work to be done in terms of “getting ahead of the virus.”
In his statement, Brown also emphasized that both Ford and Trudeau should “stick to the science” when it comes to the gradual reopening of the economy and that the COVID-19 situation in the GTA is different than in the rest of Ontario.
“Politicians should not pick a date out of thin air, we should be governed by science, our actions should be dictated by what Public Health deems is the safest for our residents,” said Brown.
This statement follows Ford’s announcement yesterday (May 12), which promised “good news” while stating that the province of Ontario would be entering a new stage of reopening on Thursday (May 14).
Brown concluded his statement by adding that he has had various conversations with other mayors in the GTA, who also believe it is essential to listen to the advice from Public Health.
“We’ve already seen how devastating this pandemic can be with the loss of life,” said Brown.
“I will certainly make that request to the province and the federal government; that they don’t feel any undue pressure to open ahead of the timelines Public Health recommends,” said Brown.
- Two Brampton residents celebrating lottery wins
- CAUGHT ON VIDEO: Street race results in car crashing into Brampton home
- Police investigating a vehicle stolen in Brampton that had a dog in the back
- House of the Week: $4.6 Mil Massive House with Stunning Interior
- "The justice system failed us": Mayor Patrick Brown angrily responds after Brampton shooting leaves woman dead
- Ontario plans for Stage 2 of economy's reopening amid COVID-19 pandemic
- Patrick Brown issues statement in relation to Brampton man who died from COVID-19
- Patrick Brown reveals COVID-19 'hot spot' neighbourhood in Brampton
- Patrick Brown sits down with Doug Ford to discuss Brampton's priorities
- Mayor Patrick Brown Releases Statement Regarding Peel Region Funding Cuts