Peel Regional Police To Swear-In New Chief
Peel Police’s new chief will be sworn in today at 1p.m following the retirement of former Chief Jennifer Evans.
On August 2, the Peel Regional Police Service Board announced that Halton Deputy Chief of District Operations Nishan (Nish) Duraiappah was selected as the incoming chief of Peel Regional Police.
He acted as deputy chief for Halton since 2015 and served in law enforcement for nearly 25 years in a variety of roles, including the Regional Drug & Morality Bureau, the Guns & Gangs Unit, and District Criminal Investigations.
The new #PRP Chief Nishan Duraiappah provides a 15 minute Q&A to the media prior to being sworn in. He’s looking forward to embarking on this journey as Chief in the Region of Peel @ChiefNish pic.twitter.com/HH5zgAyI31— Peel Regional Police (@PeelPoliceMedia) October 1, 2019
The board says he has worked with federal counterparts on the RCMP Combined Forces Special Enforcement Unit and shown a strong commitment to many of the region’s diverse cultural and faith-based communities in his capacity as Halton Police Diversity and Cultural Relations Coordinator.
“Deputy Chief Duraiappah represents the next generation of leadership for the police service,” said Nando Iannicca, Chair of the Peel Police Service Board. “The community we all serve expects nothing less than the highest degree of duty and integrity - the very qualities we saw in Deputy Chief Duraiappah during the hiring process.”
The board has spent the past seven months interviewing numerous candidates for the position of Chief. Duraiappah will become only the second police chief in Peel Region to be hired externally.
“It’s truly an honour to serve the over 3000 members of the Peel Regional Police Service as their Chief,” said Duraiappah. “As a team, we look forward to serving this remarkable and diverse community for many years to come.”
Chris McCord, who acted as interim Chief during the hiring process, will remain within the service as a deputy chief.
People can watch the ceremony on the Peel Regional Police’s Twitter.
Watch LIVE at 1pm as the newest Chief of Peel Regional Police is sworn in! pic.twitter.com/6vrF2XsufC— Peel Regional Police (@PeelPoliceMedia) October 1, 2019
- House of the Week: $1.6 Mil House with Insta-Worthy Backyard
- Brampton father celebrating big lotto win
- Ontario reports 491 new COVID-19 cases, highest daily increase in months
- All COVID-19 cases in Brampton schools for the week of September 21 to 26
- Ontario reports 435 new COVID-19 cases, no new deaths
- Peel Regional Police Hire New Chief of Police
- Chief Jennifer Evans Re-Appointed as Chief of Peel Regional Police
- ONE ON ONE: inbrampton.com chats with new Peel Regional Police Chief Nishan Duraiappah
- Peel Police Appoint Interim Police Chief
- Peel Regional Police Chief addresses shooting death of Ejaz Choudry