Police Appealing for Witnesses After Cyclist Dies in Brampton
Police are appealing to witnesses after a fatal collision resulted in the death of a 52-year-old cyclist in Brampton.
On Wednesday, Dec. 15 at approximately 7:00 a.m., Brampton man George Carswell was riding his bicycle northbound on Dixie south of Mayfield Road when he was struck by one vehicle and then another.
Carswell succumbed to his injuries and was pronounced dead at the scene.
Investigators are appealing for witnesses who may have witnessed the collision, have video footage of the incident or who may have information regarding the actions of the cyclist or drivers prior to the collision.
Police are pleading with both motorists and cyclists to be cautious and understand that road safety is a "shared responsibility."
"Motorists need to be alert to the fact that active commuters who include cyclists and pedestrians are entitled to use our roadways. Cyclists are reminded to always obey the rules of the road and are encouraged to make themselves as visible as possible."
Police are asking cyclists to ensure there's proper lighting on the back and front of their bicycles as a minimum requirement. While it is not a law, police are also encouraging cyclists to wear retro-reflective vests to enhance their visibility at all times.
Anyone with information regarding this incident is asked to contact investigators with the Major Collision Bureau at (905) 453-2121, ext. 3710.
- Two Brampton residents celebrating lottery wins
- CAUGHT ON VIDEO: Street race results in car crashing into Brampton home
- Police investigating a vehicle stolen in Brampton that had a dog in the back
- House of the Week: $4.6 Mil Massive House with Stunning Interior
- "The justice system failed us": Mayor Patrick Brown angrily responds after Brampton shooting leaves woman dead
- Can Cyclists Use the Entire Lane on the Road?
- Police Looking for Witnesses in Fatal Hit and Run
- Police Seeking Witnesses After Man Seriously Injured in Hit and Run in Brampton
- Police Seeking Witnesses After Elderly Woman Dies After Being Struck by Vehicle in Brampton
- Police Seeking Witnesses After Brampton Hit and Run Leaves Man in Critical Condition