Police Cracking Down on Transport Truck Drivers
Deadly transport truck crashes are up — way up, say Ontario Provincial Police (OPP).
They’re kicking off a “robust” two-day commercial motor vehicle (CMV) enforcement campaign on June 13, fuelled by the latest traffic data.
As officers gear up for Operation Corridor on all major truck routes in the province - including Hwy. 401 - they’re reporting 25 fatal collisions that involved a large transport truck this year, up 25 per cent since this time last year.
OPP have responded to a total of 3,047 transport truck-related crashes so far this year, with investigations pointing to the driver of the transport truck as the at-fault driver in a large number of the collisions.
“Poor driving behaviours and moving violations alone account for a large number of transport truck-related crashes every year,” said OPP deputy commissioner Brad Blair, provincial commander of traffic safety and operational support.
“When other dangerous habits are thrown into the mix such as failure to adhere to vehicle maintenance, inspection and hours of service regulations as well as unsecured loads, it then becomes a question of when, not if more lives will be lostin serious transport truck collisions.”
Police are also commending “the many transport truck drivers who are committed to safe driving and other motorists who respect their space on the road and help keep Ontario roads safe.”
- Building evacuated, roads closed due to potential ammonia leak in Brampton
- Patrick Brown reveals COVID-19 'hot spot' neighbourhood in Brampton
- Peel releases map data showing COVID-19 cases and hotspots
- Landlords choosing to evict commercial tenants rather than apply for government aid
- Police investigating after deceased male located in Brampton
- Deadly Truck Crashes are Up in Ontario
- Nearly 2,000 Transport Truck Drivers Charged in OPP Traffic Safety Blitz
- Two Brampton Truck Drivers Charged in Fatal Crashes on Highway 401
- Road Closed After Transport Truck Crash in Brampton
- Brampton Man Charged After Transport Truck Almost Crashed Into Police Cruiser