Police enforce traffic safety initiative in Brampton school communities
Peel Regional Police will be conducting traffic safety initiatives in school communities in partnership with both the Peel District and Dufferin-Peel Catholic District School Boards and Brampton and Mississauga By-law Enforcement Units.
Effective Monday, November 18, 2019, officers from both regional and divisional traffic units and School Resource Officers will be actively on patrol in school communities throughout Brampton and Mississauga in order to enforce Provincial Highway Traffic Act offences.
Officers will also be educating pedestrians and motorists through enforcement and their various social media platforms.
This campaign will focus on school bus safety, speeding and distracted driving and will be effective for two weeks.
Results will be available at the end of the campaign.
When a school bus has stopped and has activated its flashing red lights, drivers are reminded that all vehicles travelling behind or approaching the bus must come to a complete stop 20 metres behind, even if the crossing arm and stop sign on the school bus are not activated.
Vehicles are not required to stop if drivers are travelling in the opposite direction of the bus and there is a solid median dividing the roadway.
Since road safety is a shared responsibility, motorists and pedestrians are encouraged to familiarize themselves with the laws in school zones and when approaching or meeting a stopped school bus.
For further information on road safety tips, visit our website by clicking here.
- Physical distancing fine issued in Brampton after backyard party
- Vehicle rolls over twice during collision in Brampton
- Traffic light outage in Brampton causing delays
- LATEST: Ontario up to 3,630 confirmed cases, with 172 in Brampton
- Police lay more than 50 charges against eight Brampton residents in connection to series of thefts
- Police Launching "Back to School" Road Safety Campaign
- Ontario Government To Add Cameras To Catch Vehicles That Pass A Stopped School Bus
- Peel District School Board Concerned About New Private School Lobbying Group
- Brampton to add stop-arm cameras to school buses
- Police Investigating Disturbing Social Media Post Regarding Brampton School