Police Lay Close to 200 Traffic Charges Over Two Days in Peel
Peel police recently announced that they laid 184 charges over a two-day traffic safety blitz.
The blitz, which focused on Highway 50 and ran from Tuesday, June 20 to Wednesday, June 21, was carried out in conjunction with York Regional Police and the OPP.
According to police, the campaign is a result of numerous complaints and collisions in the area. Police say the initiative was designed to remind people that "an essential part of the enforcement job is to save lives and reduce injuries on our roadways."
"The safety of all road users remains a priority for the Peel Regional Police," says Staff Sergeant Michael Trauzzi. "Enforcement campaigns will continue to be initiated across the Region in an effort to reinforce that there is zero tolerance for aggressive and distracted driving. The message is simple, "Slow down. Eyes and hands off your phone and focus on the road."
Peel police say that police agencies across Canada are collaborating on the initiative and asking drivers to choose safe behaviours while travelling, whether as drivers or pedestrians.
During the campaign, Peel police laid 184 charges, including speeding, distracted driving, driving under suspension and operating a motor vehicle without insurance. Three stunt driving charges were laid where speeds registered 130, 134 and 137 in the 80 kmh zone.
A total of 259 charges were laid by the three agencies.
- Road closed due to collision between car and truck in Brampton
- Peel District schools in Brampton with reported cases of COVID-19 - September 21
- Ontario rolls out massive flu shot campaign in bid to keep hospitals from overflowing amid the COVID-19 pandemic
- Dufferin-Peel Catholic District schools in Brampton with reported COVID-19 cases – September 21
- Public health officials urge Canadians to limit contacts again as COVID-19 cases rise
- Here’s How Many Changes Police Laid During a Road Safety Blitz
- Peel Police Launch Distracted Driving Campaign
- Massive Amount of People Charged in Distracted Driving Blitz in Brampton
- Here's How Many Charges OPP Laid Against Truck Drivers in One Week
- Here's How Many Charges OPP Laid Against Truck Drivers in 24 Hours