Police make arrests in high-profile, “mistaken identity” murder of Brampton man
Peel police say officers are about to release more information regarding three shooting incidents that took place in Mississauga and Brampton between Nov. 10 and Nov. 20, 2018, including the killing of 23-year-old Brampton man Jason Ramkishun on Highway 410 in Mississauga.
Police say arrests have been made in relation to the incidents.
Police say the incident involving Ramkishun happened around 12:55 a.m. on Tuesday, Nov. 13, 2018.
OPP officers responded to a single-vehicle accident on northbound Highway 410 near Courtney Park Drive and found that the vehicle's lone occupant had been shot.
Police said Ramkishun was not actually the intended target of the shooting.
In an attempt to advance their investigation, police offered a $25,000 reward to anyone with information that could lead to an arrest or conviction.
A week later on Tuesday, Nov. 20, a male was driving northbound on the 410 just north of Derry Road when a vehicle pulled alongside him and unknown suspects started shooting at him and his vehicle.
Police said the victim was able to drive himself to Brampton Civic Hospital. He was later transported to Sunnybrook to be treated for a gunshot wound.
He has since recovered from his injuries.
Police have said they believe the incidents are connected.
Police say they will be releasing more information on the incidents at a Jan. 31 press conference.
"Jason, I must say again, was an innocent young man who was not the intended target on November 13," said Peel Police Chief Nishan Duraiappah in an earlier press conference.
Updates to follow.
- Brampton students cannot switch from distance to in-person learning at random during the school year: PDSB
- Mosquitos carrying West Nile discovered in Brampton
- Skies will be clear in Brampton for optimal Perseid meteor shower viewing
- Trudeau, Morneau, Telford must resign, or trigger an election: Blanchet
- Province confirms route for new highway that will run through Brampton
- Police offering $25,000 reward for information in homicide of Brampton man
- Police Investigating Two Shootings After Brampton Man Fatally Shot
- Police Identify Brampton Shooting Victim Found on the 410
- Police Concerned After Brampton Rocked by Three Shooting Incidents in One Day
- Police Arrest Male After Shooting in Brampton, Searching for Suspect Vehicle