Police Release Official Statement Into Brampton Hit-And-Run Case
Investigators from the Major Collision Bureau are asking for help of a fail to remain at the scene of a collision with the pedestrian on March 17.
Around 4:25 a.m., 21 year-old Navindra Sookramsingh was walking southbound on West Drive between Clark Boulevard and Orenda Road in Brampton when he was struck by a vehicle.
A northbound vehicle driver witnessed the event. According to the statement, "at approximately 4:33 a.m. the male pedestrian had collapsed in the southbound curb lane of traffic on West Drive, south of Clark Boulevard," when he was struck by a 2003-2007 Toyota Corolla.
"The Toyota stopped momentarily after the collision and then drove away at a normal speed. It is possible the driver is unaware that he collided with a person," " police state in the news release.
Section 199 of the Highway Traffic Act states that a person who is knowingly involved in a collision must report the collision to the police.
The police held a news conference this morning to brief the public about the case.
Sookramsingh is currently in a Rehabilitation Center where he is recovering from serious life altering injuries.
The police are asking the driver of the vehicle, anyone with information or anyone that knows of a similar vehicle with minor front damage to contact them immediately at (905) 453-2121, ext. 3710 or call Peel Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS(8477) or by visiting peelcrimestoppers.ca.
- Child at summer camp tests positive for COVID-19
- Motorcyclist dead after colliding with transport truck in Brampton
- Unconscious male in Brampton located with no vital signs, police say
- City of Brampton unveils new park name sign
- Why anyone who deferred mortgage payments should check their credit score
- Police Searching for Driver After Pedestrian Struck, Seriously Injured in Brampton
- Pedestrian in life threaten condition in overnight Fail to Remain collision
- Victim And Police Asking For Help In Search Of Brampton Hit-And-Run Driver
- Roads Closed and Peel Police on Scene Following Motor Vehicle Collision in Brampton
- Pedestrian Critically Injured After Being Struck by Vehicle in Brampton