Police Seeking Witnesses After Man Killed in Hit and Run Crash in Brampton
Police are seeking witnesses following an alleged hit and run collision in Brampton that left one person dead.
Peel police say that on Friday, June 29 at approximately 1:00 am, 60-year-old Brampton man Eddie Chavez Alquinto was driving his Mazda 5 vehicle eastbound on Steeles Avenue in the area of McLaughlin Road.
His wife, 45, was a passenger in the vehicle.
Police say that, as the vehicle proceeded eastbound, it was violently struck from behind by a white Mercedes Benz, allegedly driven by 30-year-old Orangeville man Martin Hines.
Police say the impact resulted in the immediate death of Alquinto. The passenger sustained serious injuries and was transported to a Toronto trauma centre.
Police allege that the accused exited his vehicle and fled in a black vehicle taken from the scene.
According to police, the accused was eventually involved in two additional collisions in the Toronto area; one of which resulted in life threatening injuries for a 20-year-old male.
The accused was subsequently arrested by Toronto police and is being held for a bail hearing.
Police say the accused is facing multiple charges related to the collision, including dangerous driving causing death, failing to remain causing death, robbery and more.
Investigators are appealing to any witness who may have observed the accused's driving prior to the collision or have dashboard video footage leading up to the incident.
Anyone with information regarding this incident is asked to contact investigators with the Major Collision Bureau at (905) 453-2121, ext. 3710.
- School Under Lockdown for Student with Gun in Brampton
- VIDEO: Tractor Trailer Collision Affecting Highway Traffic in Brampton
- Here's Why Some Brampton Residents Are Moving Towards Homes in Bigger Cities
- New Air Passenger Protection Regulations Now in Effect in Canada
- Party in the LANES Returns to Downtown Brampton for a Night of Food, Music, and Fun
- Police Seeking Witnesses After Elderly Woman Dies After Being Struck by Vehicle in Brampton
- Police Seeking Witnesses After Man Seriously Injured in Hit and Run in Brampton
- Peel Police Looking for Witnesses Following Collision Investigation
- Brampton Man Charged in Fatal Hit and Run Collision
- Police Identify Brampton Man Accused of Hitting and Dragging OPP Officer in Mississauga