Popular Brampton Musician Wins First Juno Award
This popular Brampton musician is living her dream!
Jessie Reyez has had a big year, and at the JUNOs on Sunday, she won an incredible award.
Reyez scored the JUNO for Breakthrough Artist of the Year.
She was up againt such talent as Allan Rayman, Charlotte Cardin, NAV, and Virginia to Vegas.
The 26-year-old Brampton-raised artist was nominated for JUNO Fan Choice (up against Alessia Cara, also Brampton-raised and rising in fame), Breakthrough Artist of the Year, and R&B/Soul Recording of the Year for Kiddo. Her short film Gatekeeper was also up for Video of the Year. She was one of the leading nominees this season, alongside big names including the late Gord Downie and the band Arcade Fire.
Reyez performed on the Tonight Show With Jimmy Fallon a few months ago, which is no small feat! She performed her hit single Figures on the world’s longest running talk show — The Tonight Show has been on air since 1954. She took home two iHeartRadio Much Music Video Awards in 2017, one for Best New Canadian Artist and one for Fan Fave Video for “Shutter Island.”
Check out her performance with Daniel Caesar at the JUNOs:
- Police investigating murder/suicide incident in Brampton
- Peel Regional Police investigating suspicious death in Brampton
- UPDATE: Police believe suspicious death in Brampton the result of a homicide
- Pedestrian struck by vehicle at Dixie & Steeles
- Police searching for Brampton man following shooting and robbery at adult entertainment facility