Premier Ford announces $50 million fund to help businesses assist province in fighting COVID-19
Following the launch of the provincial government’s Ontario Together web portal, which allows businesses to directly contribute to the province’s efforts against the COVID-19 pandemic, Premier Doug Ford has also announced a $50 million Ontario Together fund.
The fund will reportedly help businesses provide innovative solutions to the pandemic or retool their operations in order to manufacture essential medical supplies and equipment that the province needs, such as gowns, coveralls, masks, face shields, testing equipment, and ventilators.
It will also be used to support the development of business-submitted proposals that are deemed viable and innovative enough to quickly provide critical help to Ontario residents.
The announcement was made today in Queen’s Park by Premier Ford, Vic Fedeli, Minister of Economic Development, Job Creation and Trade, and Christine Elliott, Deputy Premier and Minister of Health.
“Ontario has an army of innovators, entrepreneurs, and the hardest-working people in the world ready to roll up their sleeves, support our frontline healthcare workers, and beat this virus,” said Ford.
“This mass mobilization of government, business, communities and private citizens to slow the spread of COVID-19 and keep people safe and healthy represents one of the largest and most ambitious efforts undertaken by Ontario in generations.”
Additionally, the province says it has been working closely with businesses and the Automotive Parts Manufacturers’ Association to ramp up production of ventilators needed in Ontario and other parts of Canada.
The government recently placed an order with O-Two Medical Technologies for 10,000 ventilator units, which will immediately be put to use after production.
“Our government is taking extraordinary measures to support businesses and organizations that are responding to COVID-19,” said Fedeli. “It’s inspiring to see the Ontario business community respond to the call to action.”
According to the province, the one-time fund of $50 million is time-limited and will be available to companies and organizations across Ontario.
More information can be found at the Ontario Together web portal.
- Two Brampton residents celebrating lottery wins
- CAUGHT ON VIDEO: Street race results in car crashing into Brampton home
- Police investigating a vehicle stolen in Brampton that had a dog in the back
- House of the Week: $4.6 Mil Massive House with Stunning Interior
- "The justice system failed us": Mayor Patrick Brown angrily responds after Brampton shooting leaves woman dead
- Province: Nearly $90 million in equipment and supplies provided by Ontario businesses
- Ontario helping manufacturers ramp up production of personal protective equipment
- Ontario Together: Province launches online tool for businesses to help combat COVID-19
- Ontario investing $11 million to support province's most vulnerable amid COVID-19 outbreak
- Ontario secures medical equipment and supplies amid COVID-19 outbreak