Province confirms route for new highway that will run through Brampton
The Ontario government recently confirmed the preferred route for a new 400-series highway and transit corridor that will run across the York, Peel and Halton regions.
In a news release, the province said that advancing the somewhat controversial GTA West corridor will reduce travel times for drivers and support economic growth and job creation.
The corridor will extend from Highway 400 in the east to the Highway 401/407 ETR interchange area in the west and include a 400-series highway, transitway, and potential goods movement priority features.
“The Greater Golden Horseshoe is an economic driver for the province and addressing transportation needs in this region is essential to the competitiveness of our economy,” said Caroline Mulroney, Minister of Transportation, in a statement.
“The GTA West Corridor will help alleviate traffic congestion and improve the movement of people and goods across the province.”
The GTA West corridor will include a four-to-six lane highway, separate infrastructure for transit and passenger stations, "intelligent transportation features" and truck parking.
By 2031, the overall traffic on the route is expected to exceed 300,000 auto vehicles trips per day.
The province says the preferred route consists of the route and interchange locations for the GTA West corridor. Preliminary design and further consultations will be moving forward over the next two years as the design is further developed.
The Environmental Assessment for the corridor is expected to be complete by the end of 2022.
The province held meetings that were open to the public in September and October of 2019 to gather feedback on the draft preferred route.
To learn more, click here.
- Seven of the top 10 most rat-infested cities in Ontario in GTHA
- BREAKING: Ontario rolls back social gathering limits in response to rising COVID-19 cases
- Charges laid after stolen vehicle causes collision in Brampton
- PICK A SIDE: Should Ontario return to Stage 2?
- Man in trauma centre following collision in Brampton
- A Major New Highway Could Run Through Brampton Soon
- A New Highway is Moving Forward in Brampton
- Province is Bringing Back Massive Highway Project Going through Brampton
- Province Cancels Plans for New Highway Running Through Brampton
- Here's What Patrick Brown Thinks About Possible Highway Running Through Brampton