Province urging school boards to postpone, not cancel proms and graduations
The Province is encouraging school boards not to cancel events celebrating students’ success.
Due to the pandemic, many school events, including graduations and proms, have been cancelled.
However, Minister of Education, Stephen Lecce, is urging school boards to consider postponing the events, rather than cancelling them, to a time when it is safe to have them—such as the summer or fall.
“Students have worked incredibly hard this school year, and we know that the COVID-19 outbreak has forced some schools to cancel or delay important milestones to recognize student achievement, such as prom and graduation ceremonies,” Lecce said in a news release.
“Although we are making great efforts to limit the spread of COVID-19 in Ontario, it may still be some time before schools and boards are able to offer the kinds of ceremonies and traditions in the same way they have in previous years,” he continued.
After speaking with many students and their families, Lecce believes graduating students deserve to celebrate their accomplishments—even if it means doing so at a later-than-usual date.
“Students and parents deserve to celebrate many of these critical milestones--especially graduation ceremonies--and I expect boards to preserve these opportunities to proudly recognize the incredible success and achievement resulting from the hard work of our students,” he said.
“In some cases, this might mean facilitating graduation ceremonies and proms during the summer or fall when it is safe to do so,” he continued.
- Driver stopped for going more than double the speed limit in Brampton
- Province confirms route for new highway that will run through Brampton
- Houses in Brampton significantly more expensive than they were just one year ago
- Many Canadians concerned about returning to their office
- Suspended driver allegedly caught with firearm during traffic stop in Brampton
- GTA high school student organizing virtual prom for students across Canada
- Ontario's high school teachers withdrawing services from select school boards this Tuesday
- E-Learning begins for students across Ontario today as COVID-19 closures continue
- Poll suggests parents want students to don masks at school in fall
- Canadian Paediatric Society calls on education ministries to allow graduations