RBC Text Message Scam has Re-Surfaced in Brampton
Although you might know a scam when you see it, others—particularly older adults who are not as familiar with new technology—might not.
As recently as today, readers reported receiving text messages from a user posing as RBC. The text, which has grammatical errors, says "Someone Sign On your RBC Account Online today with IP..." and asks the reader to click a link to "secure access" to his or her bank account.
This is a pretty blatant phishing scam, but some people—especially those who have been shopping at stores they may not normally frequent due to the holidays—might indeed worry that their RBC credit or debit card has been compromised.
With Christmas just a few weeks away and many a shopping trip on the horizon, remember that no legitimate financial institution will inform you of a compromised card or account via email or text.
- Two Brampton residents celebrating lottery wins
- CAUGHT ON VIDEO: Multi-vehicle collision in Brampton
- CAUGHT ON VIDEO: Street race results in car crashing into Brampton home
- City of Brampton encouraging residents to report face-covering infractions
- Police investigating gas station robbery in Brampton
- SCAM ALERT: Banking Text Message Scam Picking Up Steam
- A New Text Message Scam is Targeting People in Brampton and Beyond
- Brampton Residents Warned of Text Message Scam
- SCAM ALERT: Don't Fall for This Text Message Fraud in Brampton
- Residents should beware of this new convincing text scam in Brampton