Region of Peel Asking Residents to Avoid Common Recycling Mistake
You might pride yourself on being a meticulous and earth-conscious recycling aficionado, but are you sure you're doing it right?
If you've ever tossed out your recyclables in plastic grocery bags, there's a good chance you never really recycled at all.
The Region of Peel put out a video not too long ago reminding residents to please leave their recycled products loose in their bins.
"Recycling should go directly into your recycling cart," the video says. "Please don't put your recycling into plastic grocery bags. These bags are too small to be opened by the automated bag breaker and because the sorting conveyors move so quickly, there's no time for the operators to grab, open and sort each individual bag."
If the bags can't be broken down and the contents can't be hand-sorted, the waste ends up in a landfill anyways.
For that reason, residents are advised to simply throw recyclable products directly into their bins. People who live in condos or apartments should also follow this rule and throw products directly into their building's bin or recycling chute.
So there you have it. If you have a bin full of egg cartons and newspapers and wine bottles, you don't have to bag them before leaving them on the curb or tossing them down the chute. If you do, you'll have wasted your recycling efforts.
- These stores are now open at Bramalea City Centre in Brampton
- Brampton principal temporarily removed for 'xenophobic and racist' remark
- Creators of 6ixBuzz possibly doxed via social media
- LATEST OUTBREAKS: List of long-term care homes with COVID-19 outbreaks in Brampton - May 28, 2020
- House struck during two-vehicle collision in Brampton
- Here Is An Important Recycling Update Brampton Residents Should Know
- The Beer Store is eliminating single-use plastic bags in Brampton
- Major Garbage and Recycling News for Brampton
- More changes coming to garbage and recycling rules in Brampton amid COVID-19 outbreak
- Major Grocery Chain Discontinues Plastic Bags in Brampton