Report Shows Ontarians are in Favour of Different Ways to Buy Booze
There used to be a time when the only places you could buy alcohol was the LCBO or the beer store. Those days are long gone, and a recent report raises the question of where else, and how, alcohol may be sold in Ontario?
A few liberalization options could potentially include expanded hours (the Ontario government has already announced that alcohol retailers are able to keep their doors open for longer - 9 a.m. to 11 p.m. seven days a week), expanded selection at grocery stores, convenience stores selling beer and wine, and allowing specialty wine shops.
According to a recent Abacus Data report, most Ontarians are actually in support of liberalizing alcohol sales.
"Despite widespread satisfaction with the LCBO, most Ontarians support expanding grocery sales to include spirits, allowing convenience stores to sell wine and beer, and allowing private wine shops to open across the province," the report reads.
The follow graphics show just how much Ontarians are in favour of liberalization.
"It seems that this [liberalization] is a policy idea with legs as consumers seek more choice, customization, and competition in the province's alcohol market," reads the report.
The report notes that the Ford government is consulting with the public and stakeholders regarding liberalizing alcohol sales.
At this point, there is no word on what will happen next.
- Woman found in Brampton garage in life-threatening condition
- Unconscious male in Brampton located with no vital signs, police say
- Child at summer camp tests positive for COVID-19
- Motorcyclist dead after colliding with transport truck in Brampton
- Unconscious male located in Brampton pronounced deceased
- Alcohol Coming to More Big-Name Grocery Stores in Brampton
- Big Changes Have Been Proposed for Alcohol Sales in Brampton
- Doug Ford Moves Forward on Plan to Sell Alcohol in Corner Stores
- LCBO To Open 150 "Convenience Outlets" Across Ontario This Year
- Even More Grocery Stores in Brampton Could Soon Sell Beer and Cider