Seven of the top 10 most rat-infested cities in Ontario in GTHA
How do you feel about rats?
Hopefully, if you live in the GTHA, you aren't opposed to them.
Orkin Canada released its list of the 25 most rat-infested cities, and four of the top five were in the GTA, while seven of the top 10 are in the GTHA.
The number one most rat-infested city according to Orkin was Toronto, followed by Mississauga, Scarborough, London, and Etobicoke.
Additionally, Brampton was number seven, Hamilton was number nine, Oakville was number 11 and Burlington was number 13.
Further, over the last six months, rats have been migrating to residential neighbourhoods due to a decrease in garbage from restaurants--due to closures associated with the pandemic--and an increase in waste due to more people working and studying from home.
The rankings are based on the number of commercial and residential rodent--rats and mice--treatments carried out in the province by Orkin from July 1, 2019 to June 30, 2020.
Those who don't want to spot a rat in their house or apartment can mitigate the risk of attracting them by:
- Seal cracks or holes with caulk or foam and install weather stripping around windows and doors.
- Keep shrubbery at least a metre away from the home exterior.
- Eliminate moisture sources, such as clogged gutters.
- Keep food preparation areas clean inside the home and thoroughly clean spills and crumbs.
- Clean trash cans regularly and ensure they are covered tightly.
Those interested in reading the full list may do so here.
- Additional charges laid in fatal Brampton collision that killed mother and three children
- Peel District schools in Brampton with reported cases of COVID-19 - September 17
- BREAKING: Social gathering limits to be lowered in Brampton in response to spike in COVID-19 cases
- Brampton's mandatory face-covering bylaw to be extended until 2021
- Brampton issues 63 additional charges for face-covering infractions amid COVID-19 outbreak