Severe Thunderstorm and Possible Tornado Watch in Effect for Brampton
It might be delightfully warm outside today, but severe weather could be on route.
Environment Canada says a severe thunderstorm watch is in effect for the Halton (Oakville, Burlington, Milton and Halton Hills), Peel (Brampton and Mississauga) and Hamilton areas.
The weather agency says thunderstorms with damaging wind gusts are possible this afternoon and early evening.
“Scattered thunderstorms are expected to develop ahead of a cold front in areas near Lake Huron and Georgian Bay by early afternoon. These storms are then expected to track southeastward across southern Ontario during the afternoon and early evening hours. The storms will likely move through the GTA late this afternoon,” Environment Canada says.
Damaging wind gusts may occur, as well as torrential downpours, frequent lightning and hail.
There will also be the risk for an isolated tornado.
Strong wind gusts can toss loose objects, damage weak buildings, break branches off trees and overturn large vehicles.
Lightning kills and injures Canadians every year.
Residents are advised to monitor local forecasts.
- Brampton father celebrating big lotto win
- Peel District schools in Brampton with reported cases of COVID-19 – September 25
- All COVID-19 cases in Brampton schools for the week of September 21 to 26
- Ontario reports 435 new COVID-19 cases, no new deaths
- House of the Week: $1.6 Mil House with Insta-Worthy Backyard