Severe Weather and Hail in Store for Brampton
It doesn't look like we're going to get that consistently hot, sunny weather we've all been hoping for just yet.
Environment Canada recently announced that a special weather statement is in effect for the Halton-Peel region (Mississauga, Brampton, Caledon, Burlington, Halton Hills, Oakville and Milton).
The news agency is predicting "more unsettled conditions with scattered thunderstorms producing small hail and gusty winds," this afternoon.
Yes, that's right—hail.
Even though it's small, it's still hail.
The agency also says that another disturbance will sweep across Southern Ontario today into tonight.
"Scattered thunderstorms have developed from southern Georgian Bay to the Golden Horseshoe," the forecast reads. "They will spread across Eastern Ontario this afternoon. Many of the thunderstorms are expected to produce pea-sized hail."
Environment Canada also says that the odd thunderstorm may produce somewhat larger hail, with some pieces coming in at one centimetre or more.
"Given the cool temperatures and favourable atmospheric conditions, the hail may be abundant and nearly cover the ground at times," the agency says. "The main concern is damage to tender crops and plants."
Environment Canada also warns of "Isolated brief funnel clouds and wind gusts to 70 km/h." Thankfully, the funnel clouds are not expected to touch down.
- LATEST: Ontario and Brampton COVID-19 numbers as of April 5, 2020
- CAUGHT ON VIDEO: Crews on scene for fire at abandoned Brampton residence
- Troops hit the road to prepare for fight against COVID-19
- Ontario reports over 4,000 cases of COVID-19, over 200 cases confirmed in Brampton
- Application process for emergency benefits for workers begins this morning