SIU Investigating After Man Falls to his Death from 410 Overpass
The Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is investigating after a 27-year-old man fell to his death from an overpass in Mississauga.
The SIU says that at approximately 4:30 a.m. on Sept. 6, 2019, Peel Regional Police officers were called to the area of Derry Road where it passes over Highway 410.
They were called to the scene because they received a report of a man acting in a suspicious manner, the SIU says.
The SIU says that shortly after two officers exited their cruisers, the man fell from the overpass, landing on a van travelling in the southbound lanes of the highway below.
The man was pronounced dead at the scene.
The driver of the van was able to get out of the vehicle before it caught on fire. The SIU says the driver did not sustain any serious injuries but was taken to hospital for assessment.
Multiple roads were closed as a result of the incident, but they have since been reopened.
Four investigators and two forensic investigators have been assigned to this incident.
The SIU is urging anyone who may have information regarding this incident to contact the lead investigator at 1-800-787-8529. The Unit is also urging anyone who may have any video evidence related to this incident to upload that video through the SIU website.
The SIU is an arm's length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault.
- A Peel police officer has been charged with sexual assault
- Firearm located after traffic stop closes 410 in Brampton
- Police identify woman allegedly killed by former partner in suspected murder/suicide incident in Brampton
- Lanes closed on 410 due to police investigation in Brampton
- Police searching for Brampton man following shooting and robbery at adult entertainment facility