SIU Investigating After Police Taser 59-year-old Brampton Woman
The Special Investigations Unit, an arm's length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual abuse, is investigating after a 59-year-old woman sustained injuries during an encounter with Peel police in Brampton.
At approximately 9:00 a.m. on Saturday, Jan. 28, Peel police arrived at a home in the Financial Drive and Steeles Ave. West. area after receiving a call. Outside the home, an interaction between officers and the woman occurred and a conducted energy weapon (more colloquially known as a taser) was deployed.
The woman was injured and transported to local hospital.
Two investigators and one forensic investigator have been assigned to investigate this incident.
The SIU is urging anyone who may have information about this investigation to contact the lead investigator at 1-800-787-8529. The Unit is also urging anyone who may have any video evidence related to this incident to upload that video through the SIU website.
- Canadian military preparing to get involved in COVID-19 pandemic
- Over 400 new COVID-19 cases found in Ontario, with over 100 cases found in Brampton
- Anyone caught violating the EMCPA will be fined between $750 and $1,000
- Brampton making changes to transit routes starting March 31
- City of Brampton will now issue fines to enforce physical distancing amid COVID-19 outbreak