Some Brampton Schools Not Faring Well on Report Card
While some Brampton students and parents received good academic news recently, some of the city's elementary and secondary schools netted lacklustre grades on the Fraser Institute's Report Card.
One top scorer in Brampton is the Khalsa Community elementary school (ranked 14 out of 2,900 schools).
Other well-ranked schools include St. Agnes (230 out of 2,900), Wali ul Asir (309 out of 2,900) and Castlemore (406 out of 2,900).
Brampton's schools didn't perform quite as well as other Peel institutions. Some top scorers in Mississauga include the IQRA Islamic elementary school and the Safa and Marwa Islamic elementary school. Both schools received perfect scores. Other highly rated Mississauga schools include ISNA Islamic (12 out of 2,900), St. Rose of Lima (31 out of 2,900) and Khalsa School Malton Sikh private school (47 out of 2,900).
Caledon schools also received less prominent rankings, with the town's SouthFields Village coming in at 639 out of 2,900).
In terms of secondary schools, highly-ranked institutes include Holy Name of Mary (42 out of 676), Jeunes sans frontieres (130 out of 676) and St. Edmund Campion (192 out of 676).
The Fraser Institute scores schools using data such as average scores on province-wide tests. According to the report, the intitute bases its overall rating out of 10 on nine indicators, all of which are taken from the results of tests evaluating student performance in reading, writing and mathematics.
While the report card might create anxiety for parents and students who find themselves associated with lower-ranking institutions, the report's authors are careful to emphasize that public ratings are meant to motivate under-performing institutions to improve. The Report Card can also call out specific areas that schools are struggling with (say, mathematics), so that educators can better know which areas to focus attention on.
For more info, click here.
- Two Brampton residents celebrating lottery wins
- CAUGHT ON VIDEO: Multi-vehicle collision in Brampton
- CAUGHT ON VIDEO: Street race results in car crashing into Brampton home
- Police investigating gas station robbery in Brampton
- City of Brampton encouraging residents to report face-covering infractions
- These Brampton Schools Just Received Very Good Rankings on a Controversial Report
- Several Brampton Schools Have Earned a Prestigious Distinction
- Ontario secondary schools have room for improvement: report
- School board responds to report about lead levels in drinking water in Brampton schools
- Report suggests Peel District School Board is struggling to confront anti-Black racism in Brampton schools