Teachers Union Planning to Protest Politicians in Brampton
The image of labour or education unions protesting a conservative leaning government is nothing new, and that image will grace some local Tory MPPs in the next month.
The Ontario Secondary School Teachers Federation (OSSTF) Peel chapter is planning a series of information rallies to protest the Ford government's proposed budget cuts to education.
"In Peel Region we know these cuts are simply not acceptable and that the government must enhance funding to support the economic growth of the province," the press release states.
The rallies will take place on Thursday, February 7 from 3:30 pm to 4:30 pm outside the constituency offices of four Conservative MPPs: Nina Tangri (Mississauga-Streetsville), Kaleed Rasheed (Mississauga East-Cooksville), Prabmeet Sakaria (Brampton South) and Amarjot Sandhu (Brampton West).
Since taking office, the Ford government announced back in December that they were cutting $25 million from the education budget for specialized programs.
If you're concerned about more pending cuts or just want to talk about education overall, then these rallies might be for you, whether you're from Mississauga or Brampton.
EDITOR’S NOTE: The original article had the date of the rallies on Tuesday, February 7. We regret the error.
- Students Planning Walkouts to Protest Provincial Government Education Changes in Brampton
- Elementary teachers to protest outside education minister’s talk
- Ford Government's Changes to Education Could Result in Job Losses for Teachers
- Peel PC MPPs State The Peel District School Board Is Releasing False Information
- Some MPPs Still Don't Have Office in Brampton and Mississauga