This is How Much Money Police Needs in 2019
The police are here to protect and serve, but it doesn't come cheap.
Peel Regional Police recently submitted a budget presentation back in November for 2019, numbers which go into the overall Regional Council budget.
Here's how much Peel Regional Police are looking to spend this year.The police is requesting $423.1 million, with a 5.4 per cent budget increase. This is part of an overall 10 year capital plan from 2019 to 2028.
Where is that money going towards? To the following:
55 additional police officers. (to address workload)
10 communicators (to address workload)
5 prisoner escort officers (for the eight new courtrooms)
The budget document also included some statistics regarding crime activity in Peel.While estimated rounds fired decreased from 2017 to 2018, shooting and stabbings went up.
As for one of the pertinent issues around Brampton and Mississauga, road safety, the police had accumulated statistics on that from January to September 2018.
21 victims of fatal collisions.
2,327 incidents of use of electronic devices while driving.
24,612 speeding incidents.
868 impaired driving offenses.
With crime and public safety looking to be an important issue now and beyond, it looks like there may be no question as to ensuring that police have the resources to do their job.
What do you think of the police's proposed budget for 2019?
- Peel Police Respond to Collision Involving a School Bus in Brampton
- MISSING: Police Looking for 11 Year Old Girl in Brampton
- Brampton Looking to Recruit Police from Quebec Following Controversial Ban
- Police Seeking Witnesses After Brampton Man Shot and Killed
- 5 Urban Legends of Brampton to Make Your Skin Crawl
- New Peel Police Report Reveals Concerning Statistics About Crime In Brampton
- Proposed Budget Indicates A Property Tax Hike In 2019
- Brampton's Proposed 2018-2020 Budget Ready for Public Feedback
- Here’s What’s Going To Be In Brampton’s Proposed 2019 Budget
- President of Peel Regional Police Association Charged with Impaired Driving