This is How Much Money Police Needs in 2019
The police are here to protect and serve, but it doesn't come cheap.
Peel Regional Police recently submitted a budget presentation back in November for 2019, numbers which go into the overall Regional Council budget.
Here's how much Peel Regional Police are looking to spend this year.The police is requesting $423.1 million, with a 5.4 per cent budget increase. This is part of an overall 10 year capital plan from 2019 to 2028.
Where is that money going towards? To the following:
55 additional police officers. (to address workload)
10 communicators (to address workload)
5 prisoner escort officers (for the eight new courtrooms)
The budget document also included some statistics regarding crime activity in Peel.While estimated rounds fired decreased from 2017 to 2018, shooting and stabbings went up.
As for one of the pertinent issues around Brampton and Mississauga, road safety, the police had accumulated statistics on that from January to September 2018.
21 victims of fatal collisions.
2,327 incidents of use of electronic devices while driving.
24,612 speeding incidents.
868 impaired driving offenses.
With crime and public safety looking to be an important issue now and beyond, it looks like there may be no question as to ensuring that police have the resources to do their job.
What do you think of the police's proposed budget for 2019?
- Brampton father celebrating big lotto win
- House of the Week: $1.6 Mil House with Insta-Worthy Backyard
- All COVID-19 cases in Brampton schools for the week of September 21 to 26
- Ontario reports 491 new COVID-19 cases, highest daily increase in months
- Ontario reports 435 new COVID-19 cases, no new deaths
- Peel Police Urging Public To Report Incidents Of Hate Crime In Brampton
- New Peel Police Report Reveals Concerning Statistics About Crime In Brampton
- Brampton's Proposed 2018-2020 Budget Ready for Public Feedback
- ONE ON ONE: inbrampton.com chats with new Peel Regional Police Chief Nishan Duraiappah
- Peel Regional Police set to receive multi-million dollar investment