Three teens arrested for arson at Brampton elementary school
Police have made three arrests after arson caused considerable damage to a Brampton elementary school.
Around 5:45 p.m. on Saturday, May 9, Brampton Fire responded to reports of black smoke coming from inside St. Leonard Elementary School at 185 Conestoga Drive.
Firefighters attended the scene and extinguished a fire found in the school's office area. No injuries were reported.
Police investigation determined that the fire was intentionally set, causing $8 million in damage.
"The suspects attended various areas inside of the school and caused significant damage to classrooms, electrical systems and other important areas, before attending the office area where the fire was set,” police said.
On Friday, May 29, a 13 year old male and 14 year old male from Brampton were arrested and charged with breaking and entering as well as arson causing damage to property.
On Saturday, May 30, a 13 year old Toronto male was arrested on the same charges.
The three are scheduled to appear at the Ontario Court of Justice in Brampton at a later date. Their identities are protected under the Youth Criminal Justice Act.
According to police, repairs at the elementary school are expected to take approximately 12 to 18 months.
“Our school is a source of much pride to St. Leonard students and staff, past and present. We are shocked to learn of the extent of the damage and that the fire may have been deliberately set,” said Celiza Ribeiro, principal at St. Leonard Elementary.
Photo courtesy of Brampton Fire & Emergency Services
- Road closed due to collision between car and truck in Brampton
- Peel District schools in Brampton with reported cases of COVID-19 - September 21
- Ontario rolls out massive flu shot campaign in bid to keep hospitals from overflowing amid the COVID-19 pandemic
- Dufferin-Peel Catholic District schools in Brampton with reported COVID-19 cases – September 21
- Public health officials urge Canadians to limit contacts again as COVID-19 cases rise
- Police searching for suspects of arson and property damage at Brampton elementary school
- Damage caused by house fire in Brampton
- Police Called to Scene of Electrical Fire at Brampton School
- Waterloo Police Arrest 17-Year-Old Brampton Teen After Fire At Massive Party
- Fire Causes Extensive Damage in Brampton Home