Toronto Police Officer Cleared in Brampton Fight
The province’s Special Investigations Unit has closed an investigation after a man was injured during a fight at a Brampton banquet hall.
The incident took place shortly after midnight on Sept. 24 at the Dreams Convention Centre on Hedgedale Rd.
A fight broke out between several individuals, resulting in injuries to a 24-year-old man.
One of the people involved in the scrap is an off-duty Toronto police officer.
"Based on the evidence, it is clear that on this night, the officer involved was not acting in his capacity as a police officer,” said SIU director Tony Loparco.
“Further, his conduct had nothing to do with the man's injuries. Accordingly, I have terminated the investigation into this incident."
The SIU was notified of the incident by the Peel police.
The SIU is an arm's length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault.
Under the Police Services Act, the director of the SIU must consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation; depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate; close the file without any charges being laid; and report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
- Police investigating incident at Brampton school
- Police identify woman allegedly killed by former partner in suspected murder/suicide incident in Brampton
- Police investigating murder/suicide incident in Brampton
- Police searching for Brampton man following shooting and robbery at adult entertainment facility
- Highway lane blocked due to a collision in Brampton