Untrained Temps Wreaking Safety Havoc at Pearson Airport
A Pearson baggage handling company is under fire for jeopardizing safety at Pearson Airport by hiring massive amounts of untrained temporary workers.
According to Teamsters Local Union 419, a union that represents baggage handling workers, baggage handling company Swissport has hired almost 250 untrained temporary workers that have compromised safety at Pearson.
These workers perform tasks such as towing planes, cabin cleaning, flight operations, and cargo and baggage handling
While baggage handling workers normally require 3-4 weeks of training, all of these temporary workers have only received 3-4 days.
Subsequently, several workers have made major safety-related errors on the job.
"The untrained temporary workers have already been involved in accidents and injuries," explained Harjinder Badial, vice president at Local Union 419. "This is more serious than lost luggage."
The workers have left a ladder leaning against a parked plane, damaging the aircraft, and in another incident, baggage destined for a plane was left unattended inside the terminal as the aircraft departed.
Teamsters Local Union 419 has filed a formal complaint with the Canada Industrial Relations Board.
Teamsters has speculated that Swissport hired these workers to put pressure on the union while they negotiate a new collective agreement for workers.
"We're concerned that Swissport is willing to sacrifice airport safety to gain an upper hand at the bargaining table," explained Badial. "Despite the company's attitude, we remain committed to negotiating in fairness and good faith."
Almost 700 Swissport employees are members of the union, which represents 125,000 members in Canada across various industries.
- Police Remind Residents Not to Call 911 on Ice Cream Trucks
- Brampton Woman Arrested After Crashing Pick Up Truck into Tree
- Ice Cream Sandwiches and Other Food Products Being Recalled
- Peel Police Asking For Help To Locate Missing 10-Year-Old Boy From Brampton
- City Congratulates Brampton Mayor Patrick Brown on Birth of His First Son
- CAUGHT ON VIDEO: Pearson Airport Baggage Handlers and Ground Crew on Strike
- LCBO Workers Could Strike Before Canada Day
- Workers Fear for Safety Following Increase in LCBO Shoplifting Incidents
- Here's What's Happening With the Possible Postal Workers Strike
- Postal Workers Vow to Fight Back to Work Legislation