UPDATE: Arrest Made in Connection with Armed Kidnapping of 22-Year-Old
Police say an arrest has been made in connection with an alleged armed kidnapping that took place in Markham over the weekend.
York Regional Police say investigators have arrested a 35-year-old Toronto man following the alleged armed kidnapping of 22-year-old Wanzhen Lu.
Police say Lu has not been located.
Police say the suspect was arrested in the early morning hours on Tuesday, March 26, 2019. Police say this man is believed to be involved in the kidnapping, and that his name will not be released as he has not been charged as of yet.
"York Regional Police is dedicating every available resource to this investigation as we continue to fear for the well-being of Mr. Lu," police said in a statement.
"The Homicide and Missing Person Unit is leading the investigation, with additional investigators being brought in from other specialty units, including Organized Crime and Intelligence Services. The investigation is also supported by the special services, emergency response, canine, air support and the forensic identification units, whose members have been working around the clock since Mr. Lu was kidnapped."
Police say the suspects are once again urged to release Lu unharmed.
"We strongly recommend they seek legal counsel and turn themselves in," police say.
On Saturday, March 23, 2019, shortly before 6 p.m., the victim and his friend were in an underground parking garage at a condominium building located at 15 Water Walk Drive, which is in the area of Highway 7 and Birchmount Road.
Police allege that three men, one of whom was armed with a conductive energy weapon, exited a van and grabbed the victim. The victim was resisting and was shocked by the suspects. The suspects forced the victim into the van and fled.
On March 25, police said that the suspect vehicle was located in Toronto thanks to tips from the public.
Officers are continuing to investigate and search for Lu, as well as the suspects involved.
The first suspect was wearing a mask, blue pants, and black jacket. The second suspect, a 6’1 dark-skinned male, was wearing a black Canada Goose jacket. The third suspect, a 6’2 dark-skinned male with a heavier build, was wearing dark blue jeans with a black jacket. Lastly, the fourth suspect was wearing a green/yellow jacket with a hood.
The following photos of the victim were taken on the day of the kidnapping and show the clothes he was wearing:
Anyone with information is asked to call York Police at 1-866-876-5423, ext. 7541.
Photos courtesy of York Regional Police
- Premier Doug Ford reveals Brampton is "hot spot" for COVID-19
- Brampton issues 56 additional physical distancing fines amid COVID-19 outbreak
- No mask, no service? Businesses have the right to require masks on customers
- Second employee at Brampton grocery store tests positive for COVID-19
- Police responding to individual in crisis in Brampton
- UPDATE: Victim of Armed Kidnapping Located and Hospitalized
- Canada-Wide Arrest Warrant Issued for Armed Kidnapping Suspect
- UPDATE: Police Release Photos of Armed Kidnapping Suspects
- UPDATE: Police Locate Vehicle Used in Armed Kidnapping of 22 Year Old
- Suspect in Armed Kidnapping of 22-Year-Old Arrested in Brampton