Update from the Peel District School Board regarding COVID-19
Premier Doug Ford has announced all publicly funded schools in Ontario will remain closed beyond April 5--when they had originally been projected to reopen.
Additionally, Peel District School Board (PDSB) schools are not providing an estimate for when they will reopen--"we are waiting for Ministry direction on when schools and worksites will be expected to reopen," Peter Joshua, director of education for the PDSB, said in a news release.
Further, according to Joshua, teacher-directed learning--from a distance--is projected to commence sometime in April.
Moreover, students and families looking for resources for independent, self-directed learning can access:
- online supplemental learning resources (note: resources for students with special education needs and their families are coming by the end of the week)
- online libraries and database through BYOD accounts. They can also explore multimedia resources like TED Talks, Learn360 and the National Film Board of Canada through their BYOD accounts.
- the Peel board's Help Your Child webpage
- the Ministry of Education's new Learn at Home online portal
- education programming offered on TVOkids and TFO's broadcast channels
"We understand that student needs and family circumstances are different. We also acknowledge the extraordinary pressure families are under and do not wish to add to it by asking you to recreate the classroom experience at home," Joshua said
That being said, we have a responsibility to ensure that every student has access to learning at home and we are working diligently to ensure all learning needs are met. And here's how we're preparing," he continued.
As well, PDSB has made the difficult decision to cancel all field trips, athletic banquets, semi-formals and proms for the remainder of the school year. However, a decision regarding graduations and commencements has yet to be made.
- 11-year-old from Brampton hoping to win this season’s grand prize for America’s Got Talent
- Two Brampton man face charges after woman is struck by car
- Police investigating robbery at gunpoint in Brampton
- Peel District schools in Brampton with reported cases of COVID-19 – September 22
- Here’s how much detached house prices have risen in Brampton in just one year
- Update on teacher-directed learning from the PDSB
- Peel District School Board to re-start teacher-directed instruction soon
- Brampton students cannot switch from distance to in-person learning at random during the school year: PDSB
- Peel District School Board shares plan for continued learning during COVID-19 school closure
- Province providing learning resources for students and teachers while schools are closed