Victim Identified in Aftermath of Fatal House Explosion
Police have identified the victim who passed away following a recent explosion in the town of Caledon.
At 6:20 a.m. Sunday morning (February 3), Caledon OPP and Caledon Fire responded to a house explosion in the area of Maple Grove Road and Charleston Sideroad.
One person was confirmed to be deceased.
The victim has been identified by police as 54 year old Caledon man Joseph Westcott.
Approximately 35 residents were evacuated from their homes due to the explosion.
“Caledon Fire and EMS, Caledon Ontario Provincial Police, Peel Regional Paramedic Services and Town of Caledon staff are on scene assisting in the Fire Marshall of Ontario investigation and checking for structural damage to homes,” Caledon mayor Allan Thompson wrote on Twitter.
“During this difficult and devastating situation our community has shown tremendous compassion and care.”
The investigation into the cause of the explosion is ongoing.
Access to the area remains restricted as this time.
Photo courtesy of Ontario Provincial Police
- Grocery store employee in Brampton tests positive for COVID-19
- BREAKING: AMBER Alert issued for two girls last seen in Kitchener
- Brampton raid part of large fentanyl bust
- House of the Week: $1.6 Mil House with Insta-Worthy Backyard
- Dufferin-Peel Catholic District schools in Brampton with reported COVID-19 cases – September 28