VIDEO: Iconic Landmark Removed After 44 Years on Brampton Roof
Brampton is an old city that’s constantly changing. Now, an iconic vehicle has been removed from its parking space for the past 44 years.
That’s right, Brampton’s beloved red Volkswagen Beetle just spent its last days on the roof at Brampton Vee World Motors on Hansen Road.
On Thursday April 19, 2018, at 5 p.m., the Bug was removed for the first time since 1974.
Why the change?
Well, Vee World is relocating. And the Beetle itself won’t be coming with it.
“The family-owned garage shop is moving slightly further out of the city’s downtown core due to rising property taxes in Brampton,” said spokesperson Rick Henriques, Brampton Vee World Motors.
“Brampton Vee World Motors Ltd. will be relocating to 289 Rutherford Road South, Unit 20, Brampton.”
The garage will move to its new location on Monday, April 23, 2018.
“The Beetle has been a symbol of our company, and our city, for 44 years — since my dad took over ownership,” said Paula Oliveira, Brampton Vee World Motors. “The beetle will continue to live on in our new logo.”
Photos and video courtesy of Brampton Vee World Motors
- Employee at Brampton FreshCo. tests positive for COVID-19
- Brampton woman identified as Hamilton murder victim
- Peel District schools in Brampton with reported cases of COVID-19 – September 24
- Dufferin-Peel Catholic District schools in Brampton with reported COVID-19 cases – September 24
- These are the pharmacies offering COVID-19 tests in Brampton