VIDEO: Mayor of Brampton comments on councillor Gurpreet Dhillon's disturbing allegations and what happens if he resigns
In a recent interview with Brampton mayor Patrick Brown, the mayor commented on the ongoing allegations against Councillor Gurpreet Dhillon.
The allegations were brought forward in December 2019 when the Wards 9 and 10 councillor was accused of sexual misconduct during a trade mission to Turkey in November 2019.
Muneeza Sheikh, Brampton’s Integrity Commissioner, investigated the allegations and produced a thorough report recommending several penalties for Dhillon, Brown says.
“We want to create an environment that is a safe space for women, and I can tell you council was disappointed and angry about what transpired,” said Mayor Brown.
In addition to city council voting to apply the most severe penalty available — suspension of pay for 90 days — council unanimously passed a motion asking Councillor Dhillon to resign.
Dhillon, who says he does not intend to resign, has denied the allegations and criticized the investigation.
“As noted many times in today’s Council meeting, this investigation began without a formal complaint and has been tainted from the start. The numerous inconsistencies in the complainant’s story have never been reconciled, nor was I afforded due process,” Dhillon said in an earlier statement.
When asked what would happen if Dhillon did decide to resign in the future, Brown says a by-election would likely be held to fill Dhillon’s position.
“Generally if you’re very close to the end of the term, there would be an appointment, and that’s like if there’s two or three months left. Otherwise it’s a by-election,” said Brown.
“So I suspect if he did resign, it would be a by-election.”
The interview can be watched here:
- Brampton father celebrating big lotto win
- Daycare in Lockdown as shooting leaves man dead in Brampton
- Peel District schools in Brampton with reported cases of COVID-19 – September 25
- Brampton remains reasonably-priced for tenants: Report
- Province places new restrictions on bars and restaurants, closes all strip clubs
- City Council votes to suspend pay for Brampton Councillor for 90 days over sexual assault allegations
- Brampton city councillor being sued for $2 million following sexual assault allegations
- Integrity commissioner suggests suspension without pay for Brampton councillor accused of sexual assault
- Brampton Councillor Gurpreet Dhillon Announces Bid for Regional Councillor
- Brampton councillor denies allegations of sexual misconduct