Vigil to be Held for Brampton Family Killed in Ethiopian Airlines Plane Crash
A vigil will be held for the members of a Brampton family that died in a fatal plane crash.
An Ethiopian Airlines plane crashed on route to Nairobi, Kenya on Sunday, March 10.
Shortly after 2:30 p.m. on March 11, the Peel District School Board took to Twitter to announce that two Peel students, their parents and their grandparents were among the 149 passengers and eight crew members who perished in the flight that crashed shortly after it took off from Addis Ababa at 8:38 a.m. (local time in Ethiopia).
The students were identified as Ashka and Anushka Dixit.
Ashka Dixit was a student at Chinguacousy Secondary School and Anushka Dixit was a student at Centennial Sr. Public School. The two victims were sisters.
“On behalf of Brampton City Council I extend my deepest condolences to the Vaidya family of Brampton,” said Mayor Patrick Brown. “Six members of this family were among the 18 Canadians killed Sunday when an Ethiopian Airlines plane crashed minutes after takeoff from Addis Ababa.”
The victims include Pannagesh Vaidya, 73, Hansini Vaidya, 67, their daughter Kosha Vaidya, 37, her husband Prerit Dixit, 45 and 14-year-old Ashka and 13-year-old Anushka.
The mayor is inviting all residents to attend a vigil prayer in rememberance of these six victims.
“This event is open to the public for those who would like to pay respect and offer prayers,” the city says.
The vigil will be held in the Conservatory at Brampton City Hall on Sunday, March 31 from 3:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- Ontario reports 550 new COVID-19 cases, largest single-day increase so far
- Maple Leaf Foods closes Brampton plant as more employees test positive for COVID-19
- BREAKING: COVID-19 death reported at Brampton Civic Hospital
- More than 500 new COVID-19 cases recorded in Ontario, 270 total cases found in Brampton
- CAUGHT ON VIDEO: Police help six-year-old boy from Brampton celebrate his birthday
- UPDATE: Brampton Family of Six Identified as Victims of Ethiopian Airlines Plane Crash
- Two Brampton Children Dead in Ethiopian Airlines Crash
- GoFundMe Page Created For Brampton Family Following Airline Tragedy
- Vigil to be Held in Brampton for Victims of New Zealand Shooting
- Vigil for Sri Lanka Easter Bombing Victims to be Held in Brampton Tonight