Weather warning in effect for funnel clouds expected in Brampton
A weather warning is in effect for Brampton today (Saturday, July 11).
Environment Canada says weather conditions are favourable today and into the evening for the development of funnel clouds, which in rare cases may develop into a landspout tornado.
Funnel clouds have been reported over Niagara Region late this morning, and a waterspout was reported over Lake Nipissing.
“These types of funnel clouds are generated by weak rotation under rapidly growing clouds or weak thunderstorms,” said Environment Canada.
“This weak rotation is normally not a danger near the ground. However, there is a chance that this rotation could intensify and become a weak landspout tornado.”
Funnel clouds usually appear with little or no warning.
Residents are advised to take funnel cloud sightings seriously and prepare to take shelter if one develops nearby.
- Woman found in Brampton garage in life-threatening condition
- UPDATE: Woman pronounced dead after being found with life-threatening injuries
- Child at summer camp tests positive for COVID-19
- Unconscious male in Brampton located with no vital signs, police say
- Why anyone who deferred mortgage payments should check their credit score