Young Leaders Wanted for Brampton Advisory Committee
Three young people have the chance to weigh in on major decisions being made by the city by joining its new age-friendly advisory committee.
Youth reps, along with other citizen members of the committee and community agency members, will strategize to make the city more age-friendly for everyone, especially youth and seniors.
Areas of focus will include:
* ensuring public transportation is accessible and affordable
* improving participation in leisure, social, cultural activities
* promoting respect in civic life
* expanding opportunities for employment and volunteerism
* engaging people with easier communications
* effectively planning public spaces and buildings
Residents between 15-years-old and 24-years-old are being sought.
"Brampton is home to one of the youngest populations in Canada with a median age of 34 years. We value the role that our youth play in helping shape the future of Brampton," said Mayor Linda Jeffrey, adding the new committee is "a great way for our youth to help shape a strong, inclusive and engaged” city.
A time commitment of up to 10 hours per month - until November 2018 - is necessary for evening meetings and other activities.
High school students could use this position to fulfill mandatory volunteer hours.
Interested in participating?
Contact the city clerk's office at (905) 874-2115.
Application forms are available online and at City Hall. The application deadline is April 7.
- Ontario reports 550 new COVID-19 cases, largest single-day increase so far
- BREAKING: COVID-19 death reported at Brampton Civic Hospital
- Maple Leaf Foods closes Brampton plant as more employees test positive for COVID-19
- More than 500 new COVID-19 cases recorded in Ontario, 270 total cases found in Brampton
- Fire department responding to a fire in Brampton
- Upset with Council? You Can Get on a New Committee to Help Make Change in Brampton
- Here's How Brampton Residents Can Serve Their City
- Here's How Peel Police Officers Are Engaging With Brampton's Youth
- A youth symposium and social event coming to Brampton
- Brampton aiming to become a more accessible city