Peel Police Officer Cleared After Woman Tasered in Brampton
The province’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) has cleared a Peel Regional Police officer after a 59-year-old female accused of attempted murder sustained serious injuries last year.
According to the SIU, at approximately 9:00 a.m. on Saturday, January 28, 2017, police responded to a call at a home in the Financial Drive and Steeles Avenue West area.
The SIU reports that a resident was asleep in her residence when the suspect “began stabbing her in the head with a screwdriver.”
The resident escaped and fled to a neighbour’s house to call 911.
“Several police officers responded and the [suspect] exited her home and stood on the front porch armed with a knife shouting at police officers to shoot her,” says the SIU report.
According to the SIU, officers demanded she drop the knife verbally, and when she didn’t comply, a Peel police offcer deployed a conducted energy weapon (more colloquially known as a taser) and the knife was safely removed from the woman’s hands.
“She was arrested for attempted murder and was transported by ambulance to the hospital where she continually screamed for police officers to kill her.”
The woman sustained serious vertebral injuries, according to the SIU.
As of Monday February 26, 2018, the SIU has determined there are no reasonable grounds to lay criminal charges against the officer.
- House of the Week: $1.6 Mil House with Insta-Worthy Backyard
- Brampton father celebrating big lotto win
- Ontario reports 491 new COVID-19 cases, highest daily increase in months
- All COVID-19 cases in Brampton schools for the week of September 21 to 26
- Ontario reports 435 new COVID-19 cases, no new deaths
- SIU Investigating After Police Taser 59-year-old Brampton Woman
- Peel police not facing charges after woman’s finger broken during arrest: SIU
- Police officer not facing charges after woman’s arm broken during arrest in Brampton: SIU
- Police Officers Charged After Alleged Brampton Assault
- Peel Regional Police Officer Faces Criminal Charges