Brampton teen's dying wish comes true on Christmas
It’s a heartwarming Christmas story like no other.
17 year old Brampton resident Corey Groves went viral on social media earlier this month when he stated that his dying wish was to meet and shake hands with his hero, NBA pro LeBron James.
His wish officially came true on Christmas Day at the Staples Centre.
“Merry Christmas. I got my wish,” Groves wrote on an Instagram photo of him standing alongside LeBron James. “So thankful to everyone that helped make this happen.”
Groves was diagnosed with a rare form of sarcoma cancer that requires highly aggressive chemo and radiation. He was given only one year to live.
Photo via GoFundMe
His wish from the Children’s Wish Foundation was to travel to Los Angeles to see a game at the Staples Centre between the Lakers and the Los Angeles Clippers on Christmas Day.
Earlier this month, Lakers basketball pro Jared Dudley, noticed a tweet from someone who was sharing Groves’ story and replied to it asking for his contact information.
It was later announced that Corey’s wish to attend the game on Christmas Day would come true, thanks in part to Toronto Raptors SuperFan, Nav Bhatia.
A GoFundMe page has also been set up by a family friend, Sherry Williams, to assist with expenses related to Grove’s cancer treatment.
As of December 26, the GoFundMe has raised more than $20,000 from over 350 donations, and is on track to meet its goal of $25,000.
Cover photo courtesy of Corey Groves’ Instagram page
- Additional charges laid in fatal Brampton collision that killed mother and three children
- Seven of the top 10 most rat-infested cities in Ontario in GTHA
- Peel District schools in Brampton with reported cases of COVID-19 - September 17
- BREAKING: Social gathering limits to be lowered in Brampton in response to spike in COVID-19 cases
- Brampton issues 63 additional charges for face-covering infractions amid COVID-19 outbreak
- Brampton teen's dying wish is to meet basketball star LeBron James this Christmas
- Brampton teen's dying wish will come true thanks to Raptors SuperFan
- Brampton teen's dying wish is to shake hands with Lebron James
- The Toronto Raptors Will Be Playing on Christmas Day Next Season
- Chances are slim for a white Christmas this year in Brampton